On February 25, 2016, the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (“APEC”) issued a press release announcing the decision by the Joint Oversight Panel of the APEC Electronic Commerce Steering Group to approve the Japan Institute for Promotion of Digital Economy and Community (“JIPDEC”) as a new “Accountability Agent” under the APEC Cross-Border Privacy Rules (“CBPR”) system. Along with TRUSTe, JIPDEC will now be able to independently assess the compliance of companies under the APEC CBPR system. With this approval, Japan is now a fully operational participant in the APEC CBPR system.
- Singapore Recognises APEC CBPR and PRP Certifications as One of the Modes for Transfer of Data Overseas
- Key Building Blocks for Effective Privacy and Data Protection in the Global Digital Economy
- Chinese Taipei has become a formal member of the APEC CBPR system
- APEC Cross Border Privacy Rules – Australia’s participation
- APEC and EU Discuss Interoperability Between Data Transfer Mechanisms