The Joint Oversight Panel (JOP) administers the APEC Cross Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) system. In carrying out its functions, the JOP is assisted by the CBPR Secretariat (the Secretariat for the JOP of the APEC CBPR system). The JOP's key functions are:
APEC Economy participation
- consultation with prospective APEC CBPR system participant economies
- to review and determine whether an economy satisfies the economy participation requirements
- issue a findings report
Accountability Agents recognition and re-attestation
- consultation with prospective Accountability Agents
- to review applications from organisations to become Accountability Agents
- to make recommendations to APEC economies as to whether they should recognise those organisations as compliant with the requirements of the APEC CBPR system
- to verify whether a recognised Accountability Agent complies with the APEC CBPR system annual recertification process
- to make recommendations to APEC economies as to whether they should continue to recognise that Accountability Agent
Discontinue Accountability Agent recognition
- to consider and recommend discontinuing an Accountability Agent’s recognition
Conflicts of interest
Where an allegation has been made that an Accountability Agent has an actual or potential conflict of interest, the JOP may consult the Accountability Agent and advise it whether to withdraw from an engagement.
Anyone can report a complaint regarding an Accountability Agent to the JOP via firstname.lastname@example.org.
The JOP may, in appropriate cases, refer complaints to the relevant Privacy Enforcement Authorities.
JOP Findings Reports (regarding APEC economies intent to participate)
- JOP Findings Report regarding USA’s intent to participate in the CBPR system (25 July 2012)
- JOP Findings Report regarding Mexico’s intent to participate in the CBPR system (16 January 2013)
- JOP Findings Report regarding Japan’s intent to participate in the CBPR system (25 April 2014)
- JOP Findings Report regarding Canada’s intent to participate in the CBPR system (1 April 2015)
- JOP Findings Report regarding Korea’s intent to participate in the CBPR system (1 June 2017)